What Is Obstructive Sleep Apnea?
Sleep apnea is when a person stops breathing during sleep. It usually happens because something obstructs, or blocks, the upper airway. This is called obstructive sleep apnea (AP-nee-uh).
Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) can make the body''t reach a deeper, more restful level of sleep.
Signs of obstructive sleep the 1 last update 2020/05/26 apnea in kids include:Signs of obstructive sleep apnea in kids include:
- snoring, often with pauses, snorts, or gasps
- heavy breathing while sleeping
- very restless sleep and sleeping in unusual positions
- bedwetting (especially if a child had stayed dry at night)
- daytime sleepiness or behavior problems
- sleepwalking or night terrors
Because it''s sleep, kids might:
- have a hard time waking up in the morning
- be tired or fall asleep during the day
- have trouble paying attention or be hyperactive
As a result, obstructive sleep apnea can hurt school performance. Teachers and others may think a child has ADHD or learning problems.
How Is Obstructive Sleep Apnea Diagnosed?
Talk to your doctor if your child:
- snores regularly
- is a restless sleeper
- falls asleep during the day
- has other signs of sleep apnea
Your doctor might refer for 1 last update 2020/05/26 you to a sleep specialist or recommend a sleep study.Your doctor might refer you to a sleep specialist or recommend a sleep study.
A sleep study (also called a polysomnogram) can help doctors diagnose sleep apnea and other sleep disorders. Sleep studies are painless and risk-free, but kids usually need to spend the night in a hospital or sleep center.
baby sleep 👍how to baby sleep for During a sleep study, doctors check:
- eye movements
- heart rate
- breathing patterns
- brain waves
- blood oxygen levels
- carbon dioxide levels
- snoring and other noises
- body movements and sleep positions
baby sleep ☑how to baby sleep for How Is Obstructive Sleep Apnea Treated?
When obstructive sleep apnea is mild, doctors might check a child''s connected to a machine that pumps air to open the airways.
baby sleep 🔴how to baby sleep for When excess weight causes obstructive sleep apnea, it's important to work with a doctor on diet changes, exercise, and other safe weight-loss methods.